Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Blogging, Bike Riding, and a Box Garden

Hello readers.

I have a confession to make: I have been suffering from commitment issues with my blogging. It's not the blog, it's me. I've taken it for granted, not utilizing it for my creative expression as I was when I started. But as much as I've temporarily drifted away from "These Boots Were Made for Walkin' ", I could never really walk out on it. 

I love writing. I love this blog and what it meant to me when I began and what it means to me now. Every time I take the time out of my busy life to sit down and write a new blog post, I feel better, feel less stressed, and more like my fun, honest, and sassy self. So why the trouble to commit to a regular blogging routine? Life is busy. Life is fun. Life is oh so wonderful that I rarely find myself sitting down for any duration of time, unless I'm at work.

But I do love my blog. And as true love goes, I will stick with it through the ups and downs of blogging. If you need me to say it, I'll say it. I vow to have a renewed and consistent commitment to blog. I will not let a week go by without a new blog post. Even if I write five words on what kind of shoes I wore that day. Which we all know would be well over five words. But here's to second chances. And a million new blog posts.

I've been up to a lot in the last month. I moved, which I did tell you about. I got sick twice--which wasn't any fun, so we won't go into any more detail about it. I set myself up for a monthly budget so that I can start saving more money--not that my financial details are really any of anyone's business but my own, but I would definitely encourage everyone to do this. I developed horrible spending habits while I was in college and am still paying for it. There is no better time than now to give yourself a budget, put down the expensive shoes/dress/jeans/purse you really don't need, freeze your credit cards into a giant ice cube that you keep in the freezer, hidden behind the frozen peas you never eat, open a savings account with Jamie Weber at US Bank in the CUB on the WSU campus, or go through your stuff and haul it to your local consignment shop. There are plenty of women who would love to wear those Seven jeans you don't wear but keep anyway, just because you someday might fit into them. Or those platform heels you wore once, to a wedding three years ago, that you keep because you bought them on sale. If it doesn't fit or you haven't/won't wear it, there are great consignment shops these days that will help you sell your stuff.

Alright, I'll get off my soapbox.

Speaking of boxes, Craig and I built a garden box this last weekend. It was a beautiful weekend of warm weather and plenty of sunshine. We definitely soaked it up. It was the first weekend in a long time that we didn't make plans to go anywhere and just stayed in Moscow to get things done and enjoy the weekend. We walked downtown Moscow, just to browse through the stores. Only a Mountain Man would have lived in Moscow for years and never known what downtown was like. So we began our weekend with introducing Craig to downtown Moscow and having a great time at it. Then we moved on to cleaning his old apartment and getting materials ready for our Sunday project. And then, after a full morning and afternoon, just as it was starting to cool down a bit and the sun gives off a less bright and more golden of a glow, we hopped on our bikes and went for a ride. Bikes as in bicycles, in case I made it sound like we have a pair of Harley's we get around on. Which we don't.

Flying onto the Paradise Path, which runs from Moscow to Troy, it was the perfect time of day. Racing each other, riding side by side, talking, laughing, and probably swallowing a few bugs, it was the perfect end to our day. Besides the amazing, mouth-watering burgers we made when we got back. It definitely was a great Saturday. And then came Sunday. I'd like to say we but I really must give all the credit to Craig for building me/us a garden box with storage for firewood underneath. It was once a bed, turned into a bench for his ammo reloading, and has now transformed into quite the deck accessory. On top I have a large space for a garden. Veggies can grow and be picked for many of our homemade meals while firewood is stored below for the winter.

A great weekend is usually ruined by a Monday morning that rudely came to quick. However, this Monday morning I was so happy that I really didn't mind that it was Monday. If only all weekends ended that way.

Hope your week is going well! Another weekend is nearly half way here!

No comments:

Post a Comment