Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And other rules I TRY to live by.

Breakfast. If eaten properly it stops me from inhaling a cheeseburger and fries on my lunch break out of pure hunger induced rage and insanity.

Early to bed, early to rise. If I do this, I actually get up when my alarm clock goes off, not 45 minutes later.

Drink plenty of water. Makes me pee a lot. A LOT. But also keeps me hydrated when I'm dripping sweat during my workout. Keeps my skin soft, aids digestion, and has plenty of other positive qualities about it. 

Don't eat the cookie! Or even nibble on a Hershey's chocolate kiss. One little bite could induce a chocoholic like myself into a dessert binge that would absolutely ruin that hour I just spent kicking my own butt in the gym. 

I know these things. So why are these the ones I struggle with the most in my effort to eat clean, workout daily, have a regular sleep pattern, and just say no to my only and ultimate "drug" of choice: chocolate. Chocolate isn't really a drug, but some of us may beg to differ. 

Step number one, I am aware these are the areas I need to work on.

Step number two, works on these issues so that they become non-issues.

Easy as pie. Or maybe something other than pie. Pie is sweet, sweet like chocolate. Chocolate. CHOCOLATE.

Easy as broccoli. I just so happen to love broccoli, but I don't often binge on broccoli so I'm not worried.

The breakfast thing I have been working on and doing well at. And my old stand-by has been knocked out of the running when it comes to what fuels me in the morning. Yes, cereal is no longer my breakfast staple. In fact, it has been banned from my cupboard. Why? Because it never fills me up! It has let me down so many times that I should have broken up with cereal years ago. And the cereal I like, which is deemed "healthy" by advertising claims, is full of sugar. No wonder it tastes so good.

So what do I eat while watching the morning news and chugging coffee? I've turned to Greek yogurt with berries and almonds, two hard boiled eggs and a piece of fruit. This much food in the morning used to be against my code of conduct, but I've finally come to my senses. Breakfast IS the most important meal for a reason. When I eat a filling and healthy breakfast I have more energy and make better decisions at lunch. It also starts my day out on the right track and it's so much easier to continue healthy eating throughout the day rather than have a breakfast loaded with empty carbs and sugars and then try and eat healthy afterward.

The sleeping thing is partly to do with the fact that I have been hitting the gym after work, which is between 7:30pm and 8pm, getting me home around 9:30 or 10:00 at night. But really...if I stay up a little later because I can sleep in a little longer, which is my current schedule, is that such a big deal? I think not. However, the house cleaning is lacking and I would love to come home right after work, make dinner, and enjoy the evening at home. Maybe I should work on this. Yes, I should. 

H20. I regularly keep a water bottle with me at all times. However, I have realized that I only fill it up once. Which means I am not drinking nearly enough water. Bad, bad girl.

Chocolate. This is the one unhealthy relationship I cannot end. But my goal is to make it a healthier love affair. One that does not ruin a days workout. Meaning, chocolate or other treats are exactly that: treats. Not necessity. In it's absence from my daily life I'll just drink more wine. Totally joking. 

Why am I writing so much about the healthy habits I've made lately? Because when you tell people something you usually stick to it. Like I said in my last post, this is a lifestyle, not a summer project. And as much as I like to joke, I am serious about it. And really, my sweet tooth isn't that large. And I do practice self control most days. But if we are all honest with ourselves, how many of us wouldn't consider a bowl of ice cream with hot fudge and cookie crumbles an acceptable meal if we could eat whatever we wanted  and not see an ounce of it soon after clinging to our hips? Mmmhmm. That's what I thought.

Happy Wednesday evening everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment